Aerosol and splatter in Dentistry - An Overview
Dhoom Singh Mehta, Preetham Pulluri, Sowmya Nagur Karibasappa
Citation Information :
Mehta DS, Pulluri P, Karibasappa SN. Aerosol and splatter in Dentistry - An Overview. CODS J Dent 2015; 7 (1):28-32.
CC BY-NC-ND 3.0
Copyright © 2015; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
How to cite this article
Pulluri P, Karibasappa SN, Mehta DS, Aerosol and Splatter in Dentistry - An overview CODS J Dent 2015;7:28-32.
- Aerosol Technology: properties, behavior, and management of airborne particles. New York: Wiley 1982, Pg. No 6.
- Aerosols, an Industrial and Environmental Science. Academic Press, Inc. 1984, Pg. No. 254.
- Studies on aerobiology: bacterial aerosols generated during dental procedures. J Dent Res 1968; 48: 49-56.
- Aerosol Technology: properties, behavior, and management of airborne particles. New York: Wiley 1982: Pg. No 10.
- Studies of dental aerobiology, II: microbial splatter discharged from the oral cavity of dental patients. J Dent Res. 1971;50:621-625.
- Infection control in the dental office: a realistic approach. J Am Dent Assoc 1986; 112:458-68.
- Dental bioaerosol as an occupational hazard in a dentist's workplace. Ann Agric Environ Med 2007; 14:203-07.
- Bio-aerosols in indoor environment: composition, health effects and analysis. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2008; 26:302-12.
- Use of chlorine dioxide mouthrinse as the ultrasonic scaling lavage reduces the viable bacteria in the generated aerosols. J West Soc Periodontol Periodontal Abstr. 2006; 54:35-44.
- Aerosols and splatter in dentistry: a brief review of the literature and infection control implications. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004; 135:429-37.
- Environmental microbial contamination: pilot study in a dental surgery. Int Dent J 1995; 45: 352-57.
- Bacterial aerosols in the dental clinic: a review. Int Dent J. 2001; 51:39-44.
- Hazards of laser smoke during endodontic therapy. J Endod 1994; 20: 559-59.
- Infection and spread of microorganisms. Chapter 3. In: Hospital acquired infections: Priciples and Preventions. 3rd Edition 1999;Pg. No. 38-40.
- Effect of an ultrasonic scaler on bacterial counts in the air. J Periodontol 1967; 38:550-54.
- Reduction of aerosols produced by ultrasonic scalers. J Periodontol 1996; 67: 28-32.
- Quantitaive analysis of bacterial aerosols in two different dental clinic environments. Appl Environ Microbiol 1995; 61: 3165-68.
- Bacterial aerosols in the dental clinic: effect of time, position and type of treatment. Int Dent J. 2000;50:103-7.
- Introduction to Aerobiology, Chapter 72. In: Manual of environmental Microbiology, 2nd ed. Hurst CJ, Crawford RL, Knudsen G, McInerney M, Stetzenbach LD, Eds. 1995:77-86.
- Microbial aerosol contamination of dental health care workers' faces and other surfaces in dental practice. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2003;24:139-41.
- 25-to −30nm virus particle associated with a hospital outbreak of acute gastroenteritits with evidence for airborne transmission. AM J Epidemol 1988; 127: 1261-71.
- Bioaerosols: prevalence and health effects in the indoor environment. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1990; 86: 687-01.
- Aerosol and splatter production by focused spray and standard ultrasonic inserts. J Periodontol 1999; 70: 473-77.
- Use of chlorine dioxide mouthrinse as the ultrasonic scaling lavage reduces the viable bacteria in the generated aerosols. J West Soc Periodontol Periodontal Abstr 2006; 54:35-44.
- Effectiveness of antimicrobial mouthrinses on aerosols produced by an air polisher. J Dent Hyg. 1993; 67:312-7.
- Cross-contamination in dentistry: A comprehensive overview. Chron Young Sci 2013; 4: 51-8.
- The effectiveness of an Aerosol reduction device for ultrasonic scalers. J Periodontol 1997; 68: 145-49.
- Summary of: A pilot study of bioaerosol using an air cleaning system during dental procedures. Br Dent Jour 2010; 8: 408-9.
- Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee, 2007 Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings.